THE VISION OF THE SOUTH

"Make no small plans: This is the vision I have for the South. I believe that one day the South will baptize more people into the church than all other English speaking missions in the world together....We will see the time when we will baptize hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands...In your day you will see a million members of the church in the South. There will be temples plural in the Southern States. What a great call you have to serve with these marvelous people." President Spencer W. Kimball

Monday, September 15, 2014

FROM PH: Help Spanish Elders

September 15th
Sent Date: Sunday, September 14, 2014
Author: President Hansen
Dear Elders and Sisters,
It was so fun to see all of you this last week. Sister Hansen and I are so impressed with each of you and your commitment to serve with all your hearts. Doctor Bean thought that we had amazing missionaries. I was so proud of all of the Zone Leaders, the Office Elders and the Assistants for their fine training. It is so fun to see the growth in each of you and your love of the work and the Lord.

I wanted to remind the English speaking missionaries to notice all the Spanish speakers that you see and forward the names and addresses to the Spanish Missionaries. They have a harder time finding people to teach. They are giving referrals to the English missionaries also. We will give you cards to hand out with the time and location of English classes as well. The English classes are intended to find people to teach the gospel to.

A member that I talked to today said that when she first met the missionaries, it was through a crack in the door. When she saw them she was immediately impressed by the spirit and knew that what they were to offer her was true.

President Stock, Stake President of the NOLA Stake told me that frequently investigators have people who come in during the lessons. He said that missionaries don't appreciate the fact that the Lord has brought these people to them for a reason. Let's not miss the opportunity to invite them to have the discussions as well.

From your letters:
----- I've always thought that being at 18 months would mean it's "go time" and that I'd just be this stellar missionary that gets all kinds of good work done. Now I'm out 18 and realize that those things wont happen on their own and that I still have lots to do. It's like in football when the game is nearing the end, the "fourth quarter push". I want to work really hard so I don't go home carrying regrets with the rest of my luggage.
-----Another thing I learned this week was the value of planning. Sometimes we only plan to see like three people and kind of just hope things will pop up throughout the day. When we only plan for three, we usually see only about three. However, when we seemingly over-planned but pushed ourselves, we actually achieved our goals of seven or eight people a day. The Lord blesses those who plan, prepare, and push themselves to be better.  But I think that's why it is hard. If you don't believe that there are laws such as the law of justice and you don't believe that certain things are sins, then you are less likely to have faith that the commandments really are for our benefit.
-----I explained that when I feel the Spirit telling me that something is true I'lI get really excited and it's like my whole body is full and I can't keep it all in. She thought about that for a second and said "thank you for explaining it to me. I've had times where I felt like that but I didn't know what it was." It was a great experience for me to realize that we just have to tell people when they're feeling the spirit because most of the time they don't recognize it.


No comments:

Post a Comment