Sent Date: Thursday, March 5, 2015
Author: President Hansen
• Start with "We are representatives of Jesus Christ" instead of "We are missionaries" or say God has sent us here....
• “We have a unique message for the world”
• Talk to them about their families and then ask "Do you want to be with your families forever?"
• Instead of asking the investigator when would work for them, suggest a time such as "Can we come over maybe tomorrow or the next day?" Is it better Tuesday or Wednesday? to try and avoid people wanting to schedule appointments a week or more after original contact and therefore forgetting their great experience.
• When asking them to invite other people to your appointment say “The reason we want you to invite other people is because we know this message will bless everyone’s life. This reminds them that our message will bless their lives and also gives them motivation to invite people.
• After your companion teaches or testifies, you testify that you felt the Spirit while they were speaking. Ask the person what they felt while your companion was speaking (especially after quoting first vision or other scriptures). The Holy Ghost only testifies of truth.
• Say "I know" instead of I testify or I witness, which may sound foreign to people here.
• When you read a scripture with someone it brings the Spirit like nothing else.
• Hand them a pass-along card and ask them to look at the picture and ask them questions about it. Ex. “What does it look like Jesus Christ is doing? He is inviting all of us to come unto Him and one way He does that is by giving us prophets again.
• Let me tell you a story: There was a boy named Joseph Smith…”
• Ask them where their family originates from.
• Ask "Did you know you can be with your families/ancestors forever?"
• Share a family history story about someone who gave up something to join the church "I am who I am because of my ancestors."
• Show people that they can find positive things in their family through family history.
• Always connect it to the reason we do family history so you can teach a principle.Tell them about the Spirit of Elijah( It gives all people the need and desire to connect with their ancestors) Mal 4:5 and 6 Ask: Do you have a family member who was an anchor, who helped pave the way for those who came after? Use family history to connect to Plan of Salvation/Restoration Someone who wonders does God really care?
• Share a personal experience and testify.
• Explain why God gives us trials.
• If they say they don’t feel like God has answered their prayers in the past or they feel like they don’t see God in their life, testify that you have been sent from God to show that He loves them and wants to bless them.
• Even if aren't close to God, He wants to be close to them!
Joseph Smith /Prophets
• “What do you think it would be like to always know the will of God?” Teach how they had that in the bible. They had prophets that taught the will of God and we have a prophet again today. • Ask/talk about prophets in the bible and how they were called. Just like Moses was called in a miraculous way (God speaking to him through a burning bush), Joseph Smith had a similar miraculous experience in these days. He lived in 1820 and he was wondering...Ask: With all the world's problems, what would you like a prophet of God to tell you now? Have you had the experience of being confused about which church to go to? A boy named Joseph also had this experience. Why would God have prophets in biblical times and not today?
Plan of Salvation
• “What do you think happens to us after we die?”
• “What about those who never had a chance to learn about Jesus Christ in this life? Doesn't God love them too? Can they make it to heaven?” 1 Peter 3:18 AND 19 1 PETER 4:6 Elder Jean-Louis’ prayer tracting
• “Hello I’m Elder/Sister so-and-so and this is my companion, Elder/Sister so-and-so. We’ve been sent here by God to leave a blessing with you in the form of a prayer. Can we pray with you?”
• “Who among your family or friends needs our prayers right now?”
• Before you say the prayer invite them to pay attention to how they feel during the prayer.
• After the prayer ask how they feel. Ask “How would you like to feel that way all the time? We help people find and keep these feelings of peace and happiness. Can we share a message with you and your family about how you can find and have these feelings with you always?”
Word of Wisdom
• “Have you smoked for a long time? Have you ever thought about/tried to quit?”
• Testify that Jesus Christ can help break the bonds of their addiction.
• If they say they’ve prayed for help to quit, but it’s never worked before, testify that you were sent as an answer to their prayers.
• Offer stop-smoking program, but first testify that it’s through Jesus Christ we can be freed. This brings the Spirit and makes them feel more empowered and like this attempt to quit might actually work.
• Invite them to bring other friends or family members who want to quit.
Jesus Christ/ Atonement
When someone notices your name tag, tell them how you feel about Jesus or ask them how they feel about Jesus. How has He changed your life or Do you fully understand how He can change your life? What if there was a way that you could get rid of guilt or sorrow for things you have done? Is there anyone who you need to forgive to help you move on with your life? The Atonement makes this possible. Tell a personal experience about how the Atonement has helped you.
Book of Mormon
Show them an object that opens. Interesting Box, locket etc. Ask: "What is it? What is inside? How would you find out what is inside? Show them The Book of Mormon Ask: What is it? What is inside? How would you find out what is inside? Possibly read 3rd Nephi 11:9-15 with them or another scripture that lets them know we believe in Christ.