THE VISION OF THE SOUTH

"Make no small plans: This is the vision I have for the South. I believe that one day the South will baptize more people into the church than all other English speaking missions in the world together....We will see the time when we will baptize hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands...In your day you will see a million members of the church in the South. There will be temples plural in the Southern States. What a great call you have to serve with these marvelous people." President Spencer W. Kimball

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Contacting Monsters

This week we were contacting monsters.  We hit the biggest ghetto in our area and walked, mostly because Elder Hale has a concussion and can't bike.  We talked to so many people.  I think we did it wrong though because we went through the scariest part of town this side of the Mississippi and we didn't get so much as 1 door slammed in our face.  No one was rude to us.  Elder Hale and I were really confused, why is this so easy? The hardest part was figuring out which language to speak. One time we knocked on a door that had a grate on it and someone answered but it was dark inside so we couldn't see the person.  So we don't know what race this person is or what language to speak.  After kind of an awkward pause my comp says,  "Sorry but we can't see you."   She opens the door a little more and we see that she was an African American woman.  It was probably the most fun I have ever had contacting.  FOR THE INFORMATION OF FUTURE SPANISH MISSIONARIES SATURDAY IS NOT A GOOD DAY TO CONTACT.  Especially in the ghettos.  Everyone is drunk and has gang fights. Fun!  Josue is really making progress. Nephtalli is out of jail so we are going to be working with him closely.  Armando gave me a book that is named something like "La Ingles que nessesita para vivir y trabajar en los estados unidos" I freaking love that guy, so funny. But a we are running and running.

This week I have been fascinated with The Stripling Warriors, and the idea that we are all Soldiers in this Royal army. An Army unlike any other. With a mission unlike any other. Often times I have thought as the missionaries as the warriors that we are out here fighting Satan and all of you back in "Mecca" (did i mention we live in mini-mecca, sorry that is bad) are support.  Oh how ignorant was I, no you are the warriors; you have to fight him everyday, you have to chose everyday to Endure till the End. I am a messenger.  My job is to say, "Hey there is an easier way.  A way through Jesus Christ that isn't impossible."  Me and my badge of invisibility. I am lucky to share something with the Stripling Warriors, I learned a lot from my awesome mother.

Love y'all.  So much.

Elder Zach Andrews

No comments:

Post a Comment